Become an Audiologist

Before an audiologist can practise in the private sector and dispense hearing aids they must have passed either a Foundation Degree in Audiology at a university approved by Health and Care Professions Council or passed the examinations of the now defunct Hearing Aid Council, and completed 850 hours of post examination training. They must then register with the Health and Care Professions Council.  The Society has produced a guidance document Routes to HCPC Registration as an HAD which you can download here


If you want information on careers in the NHS please refer to the British Society of Audiology.

BSHAA welcomes membership applications from students studying to become an audiologist.  You must be attending one of the recognised courses but there is no membership fee to pay until you have qualified and you benefit from access to the website, newsletters and six issues of the Society's professional journal, BSHAA People, which is published six times a year.  There are also special student prices for attendance at any of our development days and the annual Congress.  You will not be able to vote. Check out our events page

Work in the NHS or abroad?

The HCPC has an aptitude test which will allow those with relevant qualifications and work experience to join the HCPC register as hearing aid dispensers. The test is primarily aimed at those currently dispensing in the NHS or abroad and who wish to work in the private sector.  Information is published on the HCPC website explaining how to apply for the test and what it involves. The test is being organised by De Montefort University and Anglia Ruskin University. They expect to run the test quarterly, depending on demand, and it will be recognised by the HCPC.